The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Fish Tails

Day 1:

I got skunked on this day, must have been my skinny internet fingers preventing me from catching any fish. To the untrained eye, fishing looks pretty skill-less. Think about it. Put some meat on a hook, throw it out in the ocean, and wait…. For me, that waiting took all day. My dad on the other hand, caught four fish.

Day 1 Fish Count: 3 bluefish, 1 spot.

Day 2:

I’ve changed my mind. Fishing is now a sport of the Gods and one that I am the best at. Today, we pull up to our fishing spot and before my dad is done setting up his rod and reel I’ve pulled a fish out of the ocean AND it is one that hasn’t been caught before by man EVER, well, at least these two men on this particular trip. Five hours later and it becomes apparent to me that after 9:52 AM fishing reverts to a sport of luck. I guess we have to make it fair for the fish, because if luck weren’t involved I would deplete the ocean’s supply. Halfway through this day, an old family friend of ours TM shows up and manages to catch a shark before we leave.

Day 2 Fish Count: 3 whiting, 1 flounder, 1 shark.

Day 3:

Today is our first full day out with TM and a good day for me as old college buddy (now that I’ve graduated I think I can use that term) BV and his father join us for fishing. When they arrive they seem impressed with our professionalism (meaning my dad has lots of rods and reels that are shiny and can be mounted on his truck while he drives). We drive out to a new fishing spot with the five of us and fish begin to jump on our hooks. It is before 9:52. In the first half of an hour TM and my dad have caught two flounders, and BVDad and I are rocking one a piece. Bill apparently lacks skill. A 4 year old boy and his mother pull up to the fishing spot beside ours. The mother lands a fish. We mock BV. Next thing we know, the 4-year old is reeling in two fish at once. Obviously BV can’t compete with that, none of us can. 9:52 comes and goes and now BV has landed his first flounder.

I will say, you cannot fault BV for not trying. At one point, he thought he had a bite and yanked the rod so hard it traveled >180 degrees from in front of him, to directly behind him in the sand. Other than that, we had a pretty decent day

Day 3 Fish Count: 14 flounder, 3 spots, 1 whiting, 1 flying fish, and 2 sharks.

Day 4:

By now we have cracked the fish code and make sure to head out early as to offset the luck factor. The three of us head to South Beach (though not the one of Miami fame) and decide to try our luck there. We start catching croakers by the dozen (so called because they actually make a croaking sound, maybe only when they are dying though). Some of the fish we catch are kind of small, but not one to let things go to waste we start rigging them up as live bait on the big rods and reels. The weights are heavy enough that the fish can’t swim wherever they want so we just leave them out there and set the rods in stakes in the ground. At one point, we look over in time to see the rod tip bend over and get pulled out of the stake and into the ocean. My dad drops his rod and reel, runs over and picks it up and the line is slack. He reels it in and the fish is gone, along with the hook. As he said, it’s the biggest fish he never caught. Later, we caught a rod in time to reel in the monster…. Turned out to be a giant sting ray. I named it blue balls… what a tease.

Day 4 fish count: 14 croakers, 2 sharks, 1 bluefish, 1 angelfish or something, and 1 set of blue balls.

So all in all, we caught a lot of fish. I would say that it was pretty damn productive, except when you consider that we had to drive about 900 miles round trip and spent more on bait than most people would spend to buy fish it was just a whole lot of fun (well, minus the third degree sunburn on my feet).

I know a promised pictures but that function is not cooperating so you'll just have to blame Blogger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home