The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Check out my package....

That's what I did this morning, proved frat-boy wrong. Fortunately for me, the one competent guy appeared to be working this morning as he found my package pretty quicly. Also, I went by the office as soon as they opened so I doubt UPS delivered it in the AM. Oh, and when I had to sign my name on the delivery sheet, the information was entered in on the 11th which was, you guessed it, yesterfuckingday.

On another angsty note, I think the reason that South Carolina is stuck in the second-tier of undergraduate schools is because they try to be. I'm convinced that they are attempting to keep me from law school and instead relegate me to some shit-hole job at the shit-hole job at the COMA. When I was applying to Duke I ended up getting waitlisted and, cocky or not, was kind of shocked since my numbers were above average from them. The only complication in my application process was that they said they did not receive my Dean's Certification form from USC. This happened in like December or January. So, I went to the Office of Student Judicial Affairs and gave them the forms and had them send another one.... fast forward to a week after graduation. I'm at the Outer Banks with some friends and I get a call from the Admissions Director at Duke saying that I'm at the top of their waitlist, they'd like to let me in, but they are still waiting on my Dean's Certification from USC. Well fuck me... I will accept some responsibility for that one since I should have followed up on it, but still.... they were 0 for 2 in that department.

So, here we are this summer and I have to send in a number of forms to NYU to ensure my enrollment.... including one that requires who but the Office of Stupid JackAsses to fill out. This time, I carefully and polite explain to them that this is urgent and they have failed me in the past. They assure me it won't happen, they understand its importance blah blah blah. Three weeks go by. I start thinking to myself, "Chris you should try being professionally good-looking... wait, concentrate now! Isn't there something you should follow up on? Ohhhhh, that's right." I call up NYU and of course, the lady that answers the phone tells me that they don't have it but that they are kind of backlogged and that it is possible that it was sent but they just haven't entered it into the system yet. Plausible, certainly. But knowing USC, I was not going to take my chances. I say, "That could be it, but my undergrad school screwed me in the application process by not sending some forms along so it's probably equally likely that they forgot this one." She tells me she will go look in their "to be filed" files. Is it there? If you guessed that it was.... well you are probably a moron and I won't be seeing you at law school. Being seriously pissed, I printed off another copy of this form, brought it over to the Office and explained the situation one more time. At first I felt bad that I was being such a dick to this girl (because she definitely was not the one that I left it with) but she made a crucial mistake about halfway through our conversation when she said, "Oh, I remember seeing this file and I thought we sent it out ...." So, I assume she had a least some (ir)responsibility in its MIA status.

See, sometimes being me really is a gift and a curse. Actually, I don't where the gift part is so maybe a title change is in order.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris. Go sit outside the Dean's office and make them fucking fill it out, they can seal it in an envelope or whatever if they have to, then you mail it yourself. I don't think you want to end up at UNC.

1:27 PM  
Blogger T-Mac said...

Man, that sucks. Good story, though, hang in there!

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that in no way suprises me..... fucking people suck


Z

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home