The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

College Park Communities: My own version of hell

I used to like living in my apartment complex, well, for the most part. But halfway through the year, the ownership switched from Sterling University Housing (I think that was their name anyway) to College Park Communities. The management at CPC, for lack of better language, sucks ass. And not clean, tight ass either.... dirty, hairy, grundle-infested ass. Here are a few examples.

They cannot stay on top of a few of the amenities that attracted people here. The security gates were always broken, so anyone could drive in. They stopped enforcing the parking decals, which means that residents often fought for spots. The pool was closed down inexplicably. And their mail system, was absolutely horrendous. More on that later. Yet, despite their inability to provided contracted services, they decide to send out a Hitler-esque move out letter, with ridiculous fines (such as a $100/hr late move-out fine). Quite audacious of them, if I do say so myself.

One of the features of the apartment is that our room is given a $120 electricity/utility bill credit per month, and whatever excess is incurred is charged to the four roommates. Well, under Sterling we would get a notice once a month to tell us what the excess was. Only ONCE did we go over, and it was for some ridiculous amount where each of us ended up owing $.23, so overuse of electricity was not a big concern in #1014. So, when I had gone the last 6 months without getting a notice of high utility bills I figured we were fine. Ohhhhhh noooooo. They decided to only bill us in increments of 3 months, so today I come home to a $50 bill for months February - May in excess charges. Absolute horseshit. Had they maintained a regular pace in notification, then I could have made adjustments accordingly. Instead, we were probably being more frivolous with the A/C thinking we had not been using up all of our credit. Also, I have a bad feeling that, because two of my roommates sublet for the summer, they weren't included in this charge and it was probably only divided up amongst two of us. Even for three months I have a hard time believing that we ran up $200 in superfluous utilities.

And finally, the epitome of idiotic bureaucracy that is the mail room. To put it concisely, they are awful. Wretched, putrid... they stink like my bathroom after a night of bad Mexican food, cheap beer, and the runs. It is enough to make you want to vomit. A package from my home (which is an hour and a half drive away) took almost three weeks to get to me. My roommate got a Valentine's Day package sent from home IN THE SUMMER. They lose packages like they get paid for it, which considering how the management operates for this company, they probably do. Maybe it's a bonus structured into their contract..... Anyway, I come home today and there is a notice on my door that UPS had tried to deliver a package to the apartment, but since no one was home they left it at the office. No big deal there, pretty standard operating procedure. So I go up to the office, present them with my neat little slip, tell them my apartment number and he goes back to the store room to look around for a bit. He comes back out after a few mintes and hands me back the slip.

"Yeah, this slip usually means that they're going to deliver it tomorrow."

[points at the slip] "Then why does it say that they tried to deliver it to my apartment, but because I was not home they left it at the office."

"I don't know man, it's kind of weird sometimes."

"That makes no sense. There is an option on the slip [points again] right here that says, 'will attempt to deliver again tomorrow.' If that was the case, why wouldn't they mark that?"

"Yeah, I don't really know... just come back tomorrow. All I know is that usually when they leave that, it really means they drop it off the next day."

(thinking to myself that maybe this frat boy's Croakies are on a little too tight preventing proper blood circulation from reaching his brain) "If that's the case, then why did you even go back there to look? If you knew that this slip meant it would show up tomorrow, why didn't you just tell me straight up to come back tomorrow and that's what the slip meant. Obviously you thought it had been delivered.... plus, I get packages from this company and UPS all the time (I'm a repeat orderer, probably 6-8 packages over the year) and never once when it has said 'delivered to office' did that mean 'haha, just kidding, try again later.'"

"Just try it tomorrow."

Thanks, douchebag. Speaking of, I come home and just out of curiosity decide to check the UPS tracking number giving the guy SOME benefit of the doubt. After all, he did have a nice cotton polo shirt, with a name tag that even had "Matt" scribbled in Sharpie marker on it. If that doesn't say authority, I don't know what does... Anyway, I check and sure enough UPS says that the package has been delivered. It even says that someone named Bright signed for it... so I'm calling bullshit Mr. Matt. Either that or UPS is just lying to me because I know that no one is bright in that office.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha. :( Can you really blame college park for not wanting to maintain your apartment complex during the summer considering only like 12 people live there at all in the summer months? Also, incredibly sorry for the excess electric charges March-May because I wouldn't doubt that I am responsible for that. And now to top off your day, I bet you'll go to the fridge and SOMEONE ATE YOUR HARDBOILED EGGS! Atleast they can make the dumpsters vanish in Gob like illusions...

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dude, you need to hurry up and become a lawyer so you can fucking sue the shit out of them....when youl leave you need to steal something from the gym, or break a few things...you need to incur at least a couple of G's worth of damage to get back at them.

Z

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home