The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I'm so glad I'm not grown up yet.....

While some of my friends are involved in serious job searches, I get to do what I've done for the last two summers now and wait for law school to start... and that makes me smile. For one, I'm excited to get out of the south and two, job opportunities coming out of USC suck. I was a McNair Scholar at USC which you think would get me somewhere. Nope! Yesterday I received an email from the Honors College which was forwarded to all of the McNair/Carolina Scholars about a job opening as a marketing and public relations assistant at the Columbia Museum of Art, or as I now call it, CoMA. The starting salary: 21k/year. I think I could make that much donating my semen, which is probably in high demand, and plasma for a year. Although that might be more stimulating than this job... just for shits and giggles I opened up the attachment which listed the job description. One of the described duties was "making sure the brochures are stocked in the lobby." Whew, good thing I went to college for that one! And the sad thing is, these are jobs being offered to what are supposed to be the brightest minds at South Carolina! That really makes me either a/worried for the rest of our graduating class or b/wonder why the hell the Honors College is forwarding this information onto us. Bye bye southern bureaucracy, hello NYC!

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. X said...

That is sad.

In approximately 14 months, during your 2L OCI, you will have employers prostrating themselves to pay you nearly $3K/week.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite honestly, wait until you get up to the good old North...a salary like that is less than what the illegals are making landscaping....everything is more expensive, so even for a job like that, the salaries are MUCH higher. As for the job itself...that is rather pathetic...and what's even more pathetic is that in today's job market, recent college grads are scrambling for that job.

8:34 AM  
Blogger A. said...

Yes, you'll be making a lot better salary as a lawyer, but in the long run, the $/hour will could be a lot less.

It is nice to put off the real world, and trust me you'll think fondly of those summers of liesure.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home