The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

You missed me, didn't you?

Sorry for the (what I consider) long absence from the blogging world. My last week was actually somewhat busy, both personally and at work and it has distracted from my blogging. That being said, here are a few thoughts that are on my mind.

I hate anyone who is a marketing major. Yes, I mean that sentence to have that sort of generic applicability. For one, poor marketing decisions doomed Arrested Development which I find to be one of the greatest sitcoms alive. But no, Fox decides to air When Good Pets Go Slightly Less Good 12 instead. As an example, the last four episodes of the season were aired against the Olympic games opening ceremony. Even I can tell you that is not a good decision, and I don't know shit about marketing. Now, poor marketing is threatening to ruin something else I love (though admittedly not as much as Arrested Development). "Daddy horny Michael!" The NHL. Now, I can't remember if I made this prediction last year or this year, but I said Carolina was going all the way to I.S. at one point while he staunchly defended the Avalanche. Point being, Carolina is in the finals and it started off as a great series. Cam Ward, the 'Canes rookie goaltender made phenomenal saves and Carolina rallied back from a 3-0 deficit to win the first game. Let me ask you this: Do you know what channel the Finals are being broadcast on? Probably not, because it is OLN. (I'll give ya a minute for the crickets to chirp). That's right, the network known for nothing, outside of potentially being the only channel to consistently air cycling. To give you an idea of how badly this has screwed the NHL, the first game was only watched in 600,000 households (mine being one of them). I'm sure that number means nothing in a vacuum, but more people watched the finals of the College Softball World Series. Nothing against women's sports, but that just does not compete with Sir Stanley. Our balls are certainly a little softer after that insult.

By the way, Hurricanes won 5-0 tonight. Stu Scott? BOO YAH!

As some of you may know, I had been cat sitting for a while. Well, unfortunately my new found friend had to leave. The initial owners failed to inform me that she had not been spayed and she was definitely in heat. Fortunately I called "not it" on having to satifsy her, but I'm not sure my roommates came through on that one. She would not stop meowing all through the night and I couldn't sleep. It was fun while it lasted Sasha!

On a more serious note I was kind of disturbed a conference call we had today at work. In my thesis I made the argument that groups like ICON would serve as a good method of CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) for the nanotechnology industries. With a multitude of sponsors, they should not be afraid of taking responsible policy decisions because it won't cause them to lose their funding (among other arguments). So today, someone mentions that they need to consider "what policy boundaries we want to establish." Maybe it's not a big deal to you, but that really bothered me. He apparently didn't get his degree at "Gro Au Paire" U.

Do you ever have the urge to "make something official?"* I had one of those the other nights. In a $70 dollar pot in PLO, I was a 9:1 favorite to win the hand. I had Qh Qs 3c 4c v. Js 10s 8h 8d with all the money going into the pot on a board of Qc 8c 6h 2h. So, for you non-Omaha analysts out there I had the top set and the only available flush draw versus a lower set plus a gutshot. Translation, he could only catch a non-club 9 (like, perhaps the 9h) on the river to win. Which he did. So, I promptly decided to rebuy and donk off that money as well.


*This is a reference to Vince Vaughn in Old School when he gets the warning from the referee. He says, "You wanna make it official, let's make it official" and throws a chair at the guy. My friend Zach is also prone to this. He'll get busted in a pot, then rebuy for twice that much and proceed to raise and re-raise every pot until he's out of money. I promise it's more satisfying than you would initially think*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach would also throw the chair at someone...or threaten to kill them in their sleep for idiotically dumping water on him.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach actually called me today to respond to this post :). He made it official.

11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I canĀ“t understand what this spanish computer is saying, so hopefully I post this right. But, in terms of advertising I have several responses
1. NEVER promise crazy a baby
2. You could get stabbed...or worse
3. Never fire crazy
4. They cut back our housing order? Those bastards!

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home