The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Monday, June 19, 2006

The Devolution of Rap

What has the rap world been coming to? To me, I really enjoy rap that tells a story to some degree or another instead of just talking about how much bling they own, weight they've moved, hoe's they fucked and so on and so forth. This is probably why I enjoy listening to a lot of the battle raps that have caused controversy in the hip-hop world, mostly the Jay-Z and Nas beef. Trading blows on Takeover and Ether, it's almost inspiring and certainly hilarious, to listen to them shit on each other… No one really does that anymore…. Oh, except for Bow Wow and Lil Romeo. When Bow Wow's "Fresh Azimiz" song first came out, I was feeling the beat but wasn't sure that Bow Wow was accomplished enough to talk so much shit. Plus, some of it wasn't even good shit-talking. "I'm 18 and I'm making more than your dad." I'm not impressed by that. My dad works for the government, I know 15 year old Thai sex slaves that make more than him.

Then I found out the song was directed at Lil Romeo because of something he said…. "What?" This kid's career role is basically "to be Master P's son." That's it… oh, and an appearance on Dancing With the Stars that he had to back out of because of an ankle injury. What gives him the right to talk any shit, especially to Bow Wow (who has dropped the Lil moniker because you know, he's practically 12 now). "Oh, I got my driver's permit, what now niggah! In between the hours of 6 AM – 9 PM and provided I have a legal guardian in the car with me I'm gonna roll on your ass." Give me a break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home