The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

ESPN 8: "The Ocho"

Now, as some of you may have noticed I have a fascination with poker. I, too, am one of the countless people who like to watch the World Series of Poker on ESPN. I will even watch episodes I've seen four to five times, ones where I can recount the hand history, betting action, everything. I know this isn't the most interesting thing to watch to most people, including most of my girlfriends (past and presnt) that I've forced to sit through said episodes. But I think it's exciting, and I like it, so that's all there is to it.

Even I, however, cannot come to grips with the new and exciting "sport" (and I most certainly use that term in the loosest sense possible) on ESPN2: The World Domino Championships. It doesn't help that I have no idea how to play dominoes competitively; I had to watch it for almost twenty minutes until I figured out you played on teams of 2. I would almost rather watch the PBA Tour on ESPN Classic than this show. I do not understand how it is entertaining to anyone. What is next, Scrabble? Monopoly? At least poker conjures up images of the Wild West, with gunslingers chasing shots of bourbon with women, where wagers were unlimited and property deeds were gambled with. Dominoes, on the other hand, makes me think of retirement homes, colostomy bags, and strokes. While I suppose this provides a very unique market to advertise to, I'm not sure what other purpose it serves.

On a side note, I am limping around today like one of the geezers that watches this Domino Championship. I slightly tore/severely strained my MCL while playing rugby in college and occasionally it acts up. I'm not sure if it's the weather (it has been very rainy these last few days in Columbia; it's the notorious 4 pm showers that occur daily), but even after a 10 minute bike warm-up and extensive stretching, just bending at the knees to get under the squat bar caused a pop in my left leg. Thinking maybe I needed to warm up, I went to the leg extension machine and couldn't even move 30 pounds. Certainly not promising. Maybe I should start practicing my dominoes, that is, if I can get a hand free from my walker.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ESPN also showcases spelling bees; what do you expect?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Hoss said...

Spelling bees are mysteriously exciting. I can tell you that the winning word was Ursprache this year ;). Also, spelling bees make SportsCenter. Dominoes do not.

10:03 PM  
Blogger the littlest tortfeasor said...

Just found your blog on the law student directory...you played rugby in college? I was a winger/scrummie on the women's team that took D2 nat's in 2003.
Law student + former rugger = I'll be reading this :)

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home