The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Some thoughts on law school

I'm taking a brief break from studying Civil Procedure so I thought , hmmm, what a better way to spend some time than post on my blog. This is a surefire way to break the curve.

1. Maybe it's just my personality but law school is NOT as stressful as everyone makes it out to be. Now, part of that might be the school that I'm at which is notorious for it's cooperative learning environment (though I have heard that one particular kid in my section has been hiding books in the library... fortunately I don't go to the library, mainly to stay away from neurotic peeps like him) and part of it is that I am not determined to get a clerkship nor do I want to make sure I'm hired by a high-profile firm up here. I want to go back to my hometown in the Southeast which is certainly not a high priority among most people here. And finally, a lot of it probably has to do with my personality in general. I tend not to get stressed out too easily over most things, and maybe 8 years of competitive debate have made it so that my threshold for stress is higher than most, so that helps.

2. However, that being said, I am studying more now than I ever have. I spend at least 1-2 hours a day doing practice exam problems, and generally another 3-4 hours on top of that either studying or bullshitting with my study group (which, translated = at least TALKING about the law). While I'm not running at WOT levels of productivity, it's still a lot of time to dedicate to studying, especially since even in undergrad studying for a final was rarely more than a one, MAYBE two day exercise in cramming and that seemed to work fine.

3. I really appreciate the hand-holding that goes on by the professors. This is the standard lecture we get: "Many of you are going to be very disappointed by your grades. Just to get in here, you have to be a very high-powered individual and many of you have probably never even gotten a B. But the fact of the matter is, 75-85% of you will get a B+ or less this year. That doesn't mean that you're bad at [insert 1L class here]. That's not it at all. In actuality, when you get out into the world you'll realize that, in fact, you're quite good at [insert 1L class here] compared to many of your peers. The difference is that, while you're here, you are competing against other very-talented students...." Thankfully, I've resigned myself to the fact that I will probably not be getting any As/A-s this year (though my goal is to make at least all B+s, and MAYBE an A-) so I won't be disappointed.

4. On a completely unrelated note, I have perfected the walk from the grocery store back to my apartment. It's key to make the right at the intersection of Bleeker/LaGuardia and head down Bleeker on the right-hand side. This way you can avoid the homeless guy who is always outside of CVS. Then, don't make your right until you get to Sullivan, this way you can bypass the guys outside the Comedy Club who are always trying to shove tickets down your throat and avoid the homeless Asian woman who sits outside that corner shop. Less traffic + less homeless hassling = hotttttt.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the country bumpkin is finally learning how to deal with the big city =P lol jk Good luck studying...3 papers and 3 exams for me next week = I'm pretty much gonna slit my wrists haha The football bet is still on so get ready to buy me dinner! (GO GIANTS!)

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home