The Life and Times of a Former Hoss: The Gift and the Curse

Shocking, another 1L blog. I bet if we didn't collectively spend so much time blogging, 1L may be less stressful. Find my thoughts on life, law, and... something else cliche that starts with an L.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Prior to my porcelain cruise...

I thought I would share some thoughts:

1) Today I saw a car with a No Questions "?" Asked Car Club. I think they must be desperate for membership. This particular gem is an '88 Honda Accord with nothing done to it outside of some gawdy, Wal-Mart style Fhrome (Fake Chrome) rims. You'd think in a city of like 10+ million people they could be a little more selective, but to each their own.

2) Our school must be an athletic menace on the field. I saw someone wearing one of our Track shirts today and he only had one arm. Not to say that people with one arm can't be athletes, I seem to recall an Atlanta Braves pitcher with only one arm (although apparently not well enough to remember his name. I'm sure one of you that actually likes baseball will remind me), but let's just say I hope he doesn't do the pole vault.

3) Resources are pretty scarce at our school gym. Specifically, there is only one squat rack in the entire weight room. Fortunately, most people here seemed to be scared of such heavy-weight, complex exercise movements but that doesn't mean that things always go swimmingly when I need to use the rack. Last week when I wanted to do some barbell shrugs there was a guy over there deadlifting around 315 pounds. Now, chances are if a guy is deadlifting that much he can probably whoop my ass. Especially if this guy is like 5'6... he's particularly built. But fast forward to today, one week later. As R and I are about to go do shrugs, we notice two guys over in the squat rack. And what are they doing? Barbell curls with all of 60 pounds. Not a huge deal, but it's not like you actually need the rack for that... so I go over:

Me: How many sets do you guys have left?
DB (you can figure out that abbreviation yourself): Three.
Me: Oh okay, do you mind if we use the rack for shrugs while you rest? Or just take your barbell out of the rack?
DB: You can't just wait?
Me: (thinking to myself) No, we can't just wait... we're on a pretty tight schedule here. (Which is true, I don't like to have to wait like 6-8 minutes just to do a f'in exercise and I was supposed to meet my friend V at the pool for another workout after weights).
Me: (what I actually said) Fuck it, whatever...

Little things like this often annoy me... you can easily do 60 lbs outside of the rack, but it's a lot harder to deadlift 275 lbs off the ground and then do shrugs with them and then repeat. Especially when that person is me and has abnormally weak legs and a lower back... but despite our gym's lacking in the squat department, they do have an entire rack of preloaded barbells with 15-105 pounds on them in 5 lb increments precisely for that purpose. I think I was in the right about this one. Any gym goers care to share their thoughts?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Famed one handed major league baseball player Jim Abbott, who overcame a birth defect of only one hand. He beat the odds, and became an amazing professional baseball pitcher and ball player for the Angels, the New York Yankees and more. Career stats below:

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV
87 108 4.25 263 254 31 6 0
IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO
1674 1779 880 791 154 32 620 888

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Dan's comment, but the real issue here is why you are still lifting such pathetic weight? Quit half-assin it around there and get to work.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Hoss said...

Yeah, that's him. I see you didn't list the most important stat though Dan... what was his batting average? ;)

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim Abbott's career batting statistics: (from MLB.com I swear)

In 261 games, 2 hits in 21 ABs, for 2 total bases (both hits were singles) and 3 RBIs.

He probably hit better against major league pitching one-handed than any of us could've done.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home